Tuesday 21 December 2010

Celebrity News

Jessie J Turned Away From UK Music Labels

UK singer/songwriter has revealed that she was turned away by major UK music labels before finding success in the US.

The Essex singer, who was signed to independent label Gut Records in London, admitted that she struggled to find support in the music industry when the label went bust shortly before she was due to release her first single.

She revealed to the Daily Record, "I was signed to Gut Records for two years and I wrote over 100 songs. My album was done and the single was ready to go then the label phoned me to say they had gone into liquidation."

"So I went round the UK labels trying to get signed. But they weren't interested. They said they didn't get it and didn't think they could work with me. A lot of girls were about to dominate the industry at the time and I felt I had missed my chance."

"But when someone slams a door in my face I try to find a bigger key or a chisel to try to break it down. I knew that wasn't the end of me, it was the beginning."

The 'Do It Like A Dude' star instead flew to the US and met with music mogul Clive Davis, who offered her a deal and urged UK labels to do the same.

She continued: "I flew to America as a songwriter to forget about all the crazy stuff that was going on.

"Within two days of the showcases in New York and LA, I found myself sitting with the head of every label in the US. There I was sitting with Clive Davis, who signed Whitney Houston and Janis Joplin.

"I signed and flew back to the UK, where everyone suddenly loved the idea of signing me. I got to choose and went to Island Records. I'm so thankful."

No comments: